Hybrid Hard Drive Continues to Run

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Andre,

Thanks for that, but that's not what the problem is.

Even trying to install from an iso file on a DVD it's giving the same error message:

"you can't install windows on a usb flash drive during setup"

It's something to do with my hard drive being an hybrid drive so the installation disk thinks I'm trying to install on a USB.

I've updated the SATA controller drivers, made sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS

Set the msahci start key in the registry to 0

Set the Start key in pciide location of the registry to 0 too.

It's still giving me the same error message and I can't install.

I've tried installing from boot, but the product key for 8.1 is four digits too short for the boot installation product key.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

In the end this is how I solved that particular problem:

Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. Changed the value PortableOperatingSystem to "1" from "0". Closed regedit and reboot.

Windows 10 reads SSDs as USB flash Drives due to this particular HKEY setting.

it was a fairly simple upgrade in the end.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi BeffernieBlack,

Thanks so much for posting this! As it turns out, I have two Asus laptops - both were identical at time of purchase. The one that I modded has the hybrid drive and an additional regular drive where the cd/dvd drive used to be, and the other is unchanged. The modded laptop with the hybrid drive updated to W10 no problem at all, the one that I did not mod wouldn't update to W10, giving the USB error in this thread.

I changed the registry as you suggested, except I found that the value of PortableOperatingSystem was currently set to '1'. I changed it to '0', and the upgrade was literally effortless from there.

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

WOW! This is awesome!

I've been searching the web since Win10 was released for information on when domain connected PC's could install the free Win10 update. I kept getting told that it couldn't install on a USB drive and I was stuck - until now! I changed that registry entry and now it installs.

A lot of the confusion on the web is that some people have been able to install the update and others, with apparently similar setups, can't - and until now, no one has found a solution!

The difference is just whether your 'C' drive is an SSD drive or not.

Normal hard drive- no problem

SSD - problem

Hybrid drive (reportedly) - problem

This at least fixes the problem for SSD 'C' drives and probably hybrid drives.

Thanks so much!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Great post. Sorted my problem as well.

Thank you very much for this, there must be lots of people with the same issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

romanwhatind.blogspot.com

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difficulty-upgrading-to-windows-10-on-a-hybrid/6b876740-3172-4404-bdaf-9faec0be8bc8

0 Response to "Hybrid Hard Drive Continues to Run"

Post a Comment

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel